Job interview coming up? Depending on the type of position you’re applying for, there are some common questions that are asked in almost every interview. As you know, it’s not always easy to find the perfect answer on the spot in a high-pressure situation. Therefore, you would be wise to review these, and other potential questions and spend time considering your answers in advance.
Here is a list of 10 that we know you’re likely to hear in your next interview:
1. Why did you apply for this position? (Or, why do you want to work for our company?)
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
4. Why do you want to leave your current job? Organization? Career?
5. Tell us about your greatest achievement/What is your greatest achievement?
6. Tell us about a time you made a mistake, what if anything did you do to correct it?
7. What motivates you?
8. If we ask your current (or most recent past) employer, what would they say is the one area you can most improve on professionally.
9. What do you like most and least about working in this industry? OR if the industry is new, what aspects of this industry appeal to you the most/least?
10. What would you say sets you apart from other candidates? / What makes you unique professionally? / Why should we choose you?
Bonus Interview Tip: Compile a list of questions you’d like to ask your potential employer about the job and the company before your interview.
Also, if your upcoming interview is remote, our earlier blog How to Ace the Remote Interview will help!